Fertilizing Tips For Your Lawn
The most effective fertilizing is done when the lawn is growing. Fertilizer can be applied several times throughout the year.
Seven Cities Sod recommends these dates as general timing guidelines
- Early spring, once soil temperatures reach 55 F apply a good balanced fertilizer such as 10-10-10 or 15-15-15 to wake the grass up following Winter.
- On Memorial Day apply a 4:1:2 ratio based fertilizer, such as a 18-5-9.
- On July 4th, apply the same fertilizer used on the memorial day fertilizer application
- On labor day, apply a 2:1:4 ratio based fertilizer, such as a 8-4-24
- Between Halloween & Thanksgiving, spread a balanced winterizing fertilizer such as a 10-10-10 or 15-15-15. Balance is key to put your grass to sleep going into Winter.